Skip to content
Did You Know These Facts About Calais High School?
- Calais High School offers support for all levels of student learning, including Honors and AP course offerings, learning labs, support in classrooms, tutoring, alternative education programs, independent study classes, and student mentoring. In addition, art, foreign language, tech ed., and SCRTC exploratory programs are available for grades 7 and 8 students.
- St. Croix Regional Technical Center (SCRTC) offers the most comprehensive vocational education opportunities in Washington County, with hands-on training and certification programs in technical education. Skills USA competition allows students to compete; SCRTC students have won many medals through the years and have gone on to compete nationally, one student participating nationally for three consecutive years.
- Calais High School offers the only comprehensive School-Based Health Center in Washington County, providing medical, behavioral, and oral health services to its students.
- Calais High School’s Technology Education Program has the most options of student focus in the county, including two 3-D printers, a computer-controlled router, and the only audio recording production studio in Washington County.
- The CHS Jobs for Maine’s Graduates (JMG) Program is a highly regarded career education program, giving all juniors the opportunity to explore careers, develop occupational paths, and enhance their job attainment skills. For most of its existence at CHS, this program has won state/regional championship in Career Development.
- Calais High School has a special relationship with Washington County Community College, offering dual enrollment and college credits for certain classes—with up to 30 earned college credits possible. Many of these credits can be transferred to any UMaine college, as well.
- CHS Student Council is an incredibly successful student government organization with a 39-year history at our school. Respected across the state, our council provides students opportunities for leadership and community service, makes a positive impact on our school climate, and proudly sponsors the popular annual Winter Carnival. Many Maine State Student Council presidents and Eastern Region presidents have been CHS students, including the last three consecutive state presidents. A feeder program for this activity is provided at CMS.
- Students at CHS can participate in thirteen different varsity sports, as well as an additional three Junior Varsity teams.
- The CHS United States Academic Decathlon Team recently finished in 5th place in the 2018 State Competition of schools of all sizes, with several individual medals earned. Calais routinely finishes in the top five schools at the USAD State Meet, and the medals earned over the years number in the hundreds.
- CHS has the largest band program in Washington County, including an award-winning Jazz Band and chorus. Other Fine Arts offerings are available, including participation in the CHS Drama Club. The Music Department offers a feeder program at both CES and CMS, and the Art Department also offers classes to CMS students. CHS students’ art has earned recognition throughout the State. Samples of student art projects are displayed in the CHS lobby, office area, and halls.
- Foreign Exchange students from around the world attend Calais High School. In 2017-2018 Calais hosted two students from Japan and Italy. In 2018-19, Calais is hosting two students from Italy and Germany. See the “Hall of Flags” in the Library for a listing of these students and countries
- Students from CHS have been accepted at highly selective colleges. In the past 10 years three of our students have attended or will attend Harvard. Other recent graduates have been accepted at Dartmouth, Bowdoin, Bates, Colby, Boston College, Columbia, Middlebury, Smith, Brown, Vassar, Yale, Husson, the University of Maine system, the Maine Community College system, and many more fine institutions.
- Calais High School is the only Maine High School to have been twice designated a Horatio Alger school. Among the other many awards and distinctions our students have earned, we have had National Merit Scholars, a Coca Cola Scholar, the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards Gold Key winners, Maine Literary Award winner, Maine “Young Writer of the Year” finalist, Miss Maine Basketball, inaugural 2-year student representative on Maine State Board of Education—plus two additional finalists over the years, and a 2014 Wendy’s Heisman Award top 25 finalist.
- And did we mention all our sports championships???? Be sure to take a look in our trophy cases!
Calais High School—a great place to grow!
←Go to CHS homepage
←Go to website homepage