“The mission of The Calais Elementary School is to nurture in students a deep and abiding joy in learning.”
Common Belief Statements
- The reason our schools exist is to serve the educational needs of our students.
- Our educational system can be improved.
- Educational excellence is everybody’s job.
- All people deserve respect.
- Involvement brings commitment, and commitment builds success.
- Belief without action is barren.
- Academic Achievement
We at the Calais Elementary School are dedicated to providing a well-rounded education for all students. We believe that the awareness of one’s responsibility to school, community, society and self is an integral part of an individual’s education.
We believe that the school should seek to develop to a maximum, the competence of each student in the fundamental skills of reading, writing, listening, speaking, and computation as a foundation for subsequent education.
We believe that the students should have the opportunity to experience a comprehensive education within the school curriculum. It is our goal to provide students with a background on which to make wise choices in the selection of a vocation, to develop a healthy life, to utilize leisure time, and to participate in civic activities.
We believe that a climate for learning should be provided for each individual that will encourage motivation for learning, self-expression, creativeness, respect for the rights of others, and self-respect. This climate must provide an atmosphere for inquiry and the evaluation of one’s goals.
We believe that the school must work closely with the home to provide the individual student with a program, which best meets, the student’s needs. The development of cooperation between staff, students, parents, and the general community is the key to providing a successful educational program.
- To develop & maintain proficiency in the basic skills in all areas.
- To promote a sense of pride in our school and in achieving quality performance.
- To help each student develop a strong feeling of self-esteem.
- To promote hands on experiences that will help learners to develop to their fullest academic,
physical, and creative potential.
- To provide a helpful, healthy educational atmosphere, physically, socially, and academically.
- To foster respect and tolerance for individual differences.
- To develop and maintain an effective code of discipline which will promote appropriate social
behavior in all facets of the student’s life.
- To acquaint children at all levels with a wider variety of careers open to them with the goal of
raising their levels of aspiration.
- To provide varied cultural experiences for all students in order to broaden their exposure to the arts