Ron Jenkins, Superintendent of Schools
Calais School Department
Plan to Open School in the Fall
While there still are a number of details to be worked out, the following is a list of those things that have been approved by the Calais School Committee:
- The first student day will be Monday September 14th. We expect the school day to be the same as last year.
- Teachers and staff will return as was originally planned. Training and workshops will be held to help facilitate a smooth start.
- There will be two options for student’s receiving instruction
- Students may receive regular instruction in the classroom on a modified schedule (Half of the students will attend on specified days to be determined in the very near future.)
- Students may attend virtual classes (distance learning) via an internet connection provided by the school. There will be guidelines for accessing distance learning in order to receive credit.
- We will follow Maine CDC Guidelines for reopening school
- Social Distancing will be observed
- Masks will be required of all students and staff. Breaks will be required and Calais School Department Administration will work with staff to determine conditions and lengths of time they must be worn. We are working on an alternative to masks such as shields for students that have a medical reason why masks should not be worn.
- There will be a plan for elementary students to receive additional help and supervision at an off school site on the days that they are not scheduled for teacher to student instruction. This service will be provided at no cost to parents.
- The rules for riding our buses will be provided very soon.
I fully understand that what we will be doing is not ideal. We hope to be back to a more normal situation, but exactly when that can happen remains elusive. Our primary concern remains the safety of our students. We will never know if what we are doing is more than is necessary, but I am sure that if we do too little it will become abundantly clear. We thank you for trusting us with your most precious children and young adults.